Logitech Harmony turns iPhone, iPad into a remote
Logitech has announced the Harmony Link, a Wi-Fi remote base station/iOS app combo that turns your iPhone or iPad into a remote control for your TV. Logitech isn't the first to come to market with a hardware/software iOS remote, but the Link may well be the coolest. Its magic lies in the Harmony Link app and its visual TV guide.
Instead of simply scrolling through a text-based list of TV shows, the Harmony Link app displays your channels and their shows using large visuals. Swipe left or right through title cards representing TV shows (usually the show's logo) then tap an image to find out more about the show. Tap the "Watch Now" button to tune your TV to that channel or mark favorite shows and channels so you can quickly skim them to see what's on. As cool as it is, there's one caveat to the Harmony Link app. Currently the visual guide will only work on the iPad. iPhone (and Android) users will have to use the remote app sans visuals.
The Harmony Link base station plugs into your wall and has eight "snake" IR receivers that can reach your devices even if they are tucked out of view in a home entertainment cabinet. The Harmony Link base station connects to your home Wi-Fi network, which is also how it takes commands from your iPad or iPhone. No line of sight or additional IR attachments are needed for your iOS device.
The Harmony Link hits shelves next month for US$99. It's also available for pre-order now.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature