Disney to pair iPad, physical toys with new games
Disney is working on a new game system that'll pair physical toys with the iPad. Called Disney Appmates, the first example of these toys will use the characters from the Disney/Pixar movie Cars 2. The cars will interact with the iPad surface presumably using a capacitive interface and the iPad will display a moving track that responds to the car's input.
In the game, the child guides the car across a virtual track; skidding across the mud, knocking over buildings and interacting with bystanders on the side of the road. As you would expect, the game is designed for the younger crowd. Children six and under who like cars, racing and hitting things should enjoy it.
The game will launch with four vehicles including Lightning McQueen, Tow Mater, Finn McMissile and Holley Shiftwell. Cars will be sold in packs of two for $20 and will unlock different game content. Disney will begin selling Appmates starting October 1 in both the Apple Store and the Disney Store.
Disney is working on a new game system that'll pair physical toys with the iPad. Called Disney Appmates, the first example of these toys...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Plants vs. Zombies 2 gets upgraded map, more 'cool' stuff
- Remote Desktop update brings OS X Mavericks support and improved multi-display support
- Valve revamps Steam Mobile for iOS
- Google Drive iOS app finally lets you sort items and find and replace in documents
- Viber announces Viber Out calls for iOS, goes head to head with Skype
- Amazon Cloud Drive Photos gains video, iPad support