Apple iPod and iTunes continue to dominate the music industry
Apple unveiled the iPod ten years ago and revolutionized the music industry, says Tim Cook during Apple's iPhone keynote. The mp3 player still dominates with over 70% market share, a figure that has slowly killed off its competition. Since its introduction Apple has sold over 330 million units worldwide, 45 million of which were sold from July 2010 to June 2011.
And the iTunes music store is equally as dominant. In the eight years since it was introduced, Apple's music library has grown from 200,000 songs to over 200 million. It's the #1 music store with over 16 billion downloads and with the success of the iPhone and iPad, these numbers are projected to grow even larger.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration