Dear Aunt TUAW: Help me share my photos overseas
Dear Aunt TUAW,
I have an iPad2. I am traveling to Spain in November and want to NOT tote my 17" Macbook. Is there an easy way to take files (primarily older photos that I have taken) with me on a USB flash drive and using the camera connection kit USB adapter have access to these files so I can display them to my Spanish hosts?
Your loving nephew,
It's a lot easier to let your data travel by itself. Consider uploading your photos to Flickr, PhotoStream or Dropbox.
The Camera Connection Kit is primarily intended to let you offload your photos from your camera to a net-connected device, so you can better use your equipment's limited storage.
Although you can use the CCK for bringing photos along, you'd probably be far better served by copying your pictures to a net service and accessing them with your hosts' own computers. Plus, CCK components are small and easy to lose.
That aside, let Auntie remind you that forcing people to sit through long slideshows is condemned by the Geneva Conventions of Unusual Cruelty.
As a rule, you'll want to bring the bare minimum to keep in touch on your trip, or to use for music or reading during down-time. It's the people, and the experiences there that you'll want to savor, not the toys that you have to lug around with you.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)