AirPort Utility for iOS is a network admin's dream
Over the years, I've run the AirPort Utility on my Mac more times than I've wanted to. Usually I'm at a client's office, trying to troubleshoot a network issue. Now life has just gotten a bit easier for network admins -- the AirPort Utility for iOS (free) is now available on the App Store.
The app is designed to manage all Apple Wi-Fi network base stations, including the AirPort Express, AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule. If you're used to using the AirPort Utility for Mac, then you'll have no issues at all with the new iOS utility. The design is extremely simple and easy to understand. When you launch the app, you're immediately greeted with a diagram depicting the Internet and any base stations on your network.
Tap any specific base station to begin; you must enter any passwords that you're using to protect the device (you DO have passwords set up, don't you?). Once you've done that, life is good. As you'll see in the gallery, there's a ton of information you can view and edit.
I won't go into too many details about the utility, but be sure to take a look at the gallery to see everything that you can accomplish. Basically, it's everything you can do with the Mac app, neatly distilled into a very usable and comprehensive tool. Well done, Apple!
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daily App: MyScript Calculator solves your hand-written math equations
- Findery app lets you discover the world around you using annotated notes and maps
- The Learnist app brings its crowd-sourced collection of information to your iPhone
- My cat Cinnamon reviews Friskies Cat Fishing 2
- Photo Grid Collage Maker is capable and free
- iExit gets new features and is now free