Dear Aunt TUAW: How do I enable AirDrop on my older Mac?
Dear Aunt TUAW,
I want to use AirDrop between my older iMac and my new MacBook Air. How can I do this? They're both running Lion but AirDrop is only enabled on the MBA.
Your loving nephew,
You can enable AirDrop for many older Lion systems at the Terminal command line. Enter:
defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser BrowseAllInterfaces 1
After setting the defaults, you'll need to restart Finder:
Once you do, you should be able to use AirDrop on your local Wi-Fi network. Auntie is currently using AirDrop from her early 2009 Mac mini without any trouble.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration