Dear Aunt TUAW: How do I enable AirDrop on my older Mac?
Dear Aunt TUAW,
I want to use AirDrop between my older iMac and my new MacBook Air. How can I do this? They're both running Lion but AirDrop is only enabled on the MBA.
Your loving nephew,
You can enable AirDrop for many older Lion systems at the Terminal command line. Enter:
defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser BrowseAllInterfaces 1
After setting the defaults, you'll need to restart Finder:
Once you do, you should be able to use AirDrop on your local Wi-Fi network. Auntie is currently using AirDrop from her early 2009 Mac mini without any trouble.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync