Dear Aunt TUAW: How do I enable AirDrop on my older Mac?
Dear Aunt TUAW,
I want to use AirDrop between my older iMac and my new MacBook Air. How can I do this? They're both running Lion but AirDrop is only enabled on the MBA.
Your loving nephew,
You can enable AirDrop for many older Lion systems at the Terminal command line. Enter:
defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser BrowseAllInterfaces 1
After setting the defaults, you'll need to restart Finder:
Once you do, you should be able to use AirDrop on your local Wi-Fi network. Auntie is currently using AirDrop from her early 2009 Mac mini without any trouble.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daily App: MyScript Calculator solves your hand-written math equations
- Findery app lets you discover the world around you using annotated notes and maps
- The Learnist app brings its crowd-sourced collection of information to your iPhone
- My cat Cinnamon reviews Friskies Cat Fishing 2
- Photo Grid Collage Maker is capable and free
- iExit gets new features and is now free