Daily iPhone App: W.E.L.D.E.R.
WELDER is an interesting take on the word game "genre" for iOS -- it is indeed a puzzle game where you need to make and spell words to score points, but this one is sort of a weird mix of Bejeweled and Scrabble (kind of like Bookworm, actually). You get a grid of letters (and some special blocks) on the screen, and you have to move those around in different ways to line up words and get the points rolling. The game isn't actually timed, so the focus is all on making as many words as you can in as few moves as possible.
What makes the game so unique is its premise -- not only does everything in the game window look great and "feel" real (even the points counter spins and dings as if it were an actual object), but the whole aesthetic behind the game itself, highlighted in this trailer (where the title is translated as Word Examination Laboratory for Dynamic Extraction and Reassesment) really puts a whole other level of polish and fun on the whole proceeding.
The game has some really nice extras as well, including the ability to look up any words in the iOS dictionary, share any really great spellings on Facebook or Twitter, and full Game Center integration, including a "Palindrome ranking." WELDER is really unique, and if you like word games at all, you should give it a look. It's available for half price during the launch period, as a universal app for only $1.99.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature