Rumor: New Apple TV on the way, suggests TechCrunch
Our sister blog TechCrunch just posted a rumor suggesting that the current Apple TV might be replaced with a newer model in the very near future.
As Matt Burns at TechCrunch reports, Amazon and Best Buy are now selling the second-generation Apple TV for $89, one full Hamilton less than the MSRP. Amazon has also marked the product name with the number "2010" in parentheses, perhaps suggesting that there will be a 2011 or 2012 edition rolling out soon.
The existing model has been around since September 1, 2010, and a new device might very well replace the single-core A4 with a dual-core A5. That bump would help 1080p playback and smooth out the UI on the Apple TV.
Burns believes that if a new Apple TV is on the way, it would be likely to hit the market before the holiday buying binge starts -- perhaps as soon as the next few days. If not, a refresh wouldn't be likely until 2012.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daylite 5 adds refinements to the business management app
- 1Password 4.5 for iOS gains features, slims down
- IFTTT for iPad brings service/device mashups to your favorite tablet
- Daily App: Rormix brings indie music videos to your iPhone and iPad
- Pebble updates its iOS app with new apps, sharing options and v2.1 fix
- PSA: Pebble for iOS v.2.1 update contains critical flaw that breaks the app - Update