Skype 5.4 beta available
Skype Beta 5.4 was made available last week with more Facebook integration. For the most part, TUAW isn't comprised of big Skype users. Skype came under fire with a redesign in version 5. Our beloved leader, Victor, is still on version 2.8 -- or as he puts it, "2.8 FOR LIFE."
As the Mac beta page notes, "Exclusive to Skype – make video and voice calls, as well as send instant messages, to all your Facebook friends direct from Skype."
Personally, I only use Skype whenever I need to place overseas calls or participate on non-TUAW talkcasts. I just want to be able to connect, set up my headphone and mic prefs, and participate. So long as Skype does that, I'm happy.
I'm pleased to report that the new beta does that. The continuing Facebook integration is simply a shortcut for those who only contact certain people through Facebook.
As for the rest of the features? You can check them out on the beta home page.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter