Skype 5.4 beta available
Skype Beta 5.4 was made available last week with more Facebook integration. For the most part, TUAW isn't comprised of big Skype users. Skype came under fire with a redesign in version 5. Our beloved leader, Victor, is still on version 2.8 -- or as he puts it, "2.8 FOR LIFE."
As the Mac beta page notes, "Exclusive to Skype – make video and voice calls, as well as send instant messages, to all your Facebook friends direct from Skype."
Personally, I only use Skype whenever I need to place overseas calls or participate on non-TUAW talkcasts. I just want to be able to connect, set up my headphone and mic prefs, and participate. So long as Skype does that, I'm happy.
I'm pleased to report that the new beta does that. The continuing Facebook integration is simply a shortcut for those who only contact certain people through Facebook.
As for the rest of the features? You can check them out on the beta home page.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app
- Dropbox for iOS update adds new setup and file management options