Opena Case: Open beers and protect your iPhone 4/4S
So, where would you expect an iPhone case that also opens beers to come from? If you guessed Australia, you're absolutely correct. I first heard about the Opena Case (AUD$39.95) when it was a Kickstarter project, and now that they're in production, I really wanted to try one.
The case is easy to snap onto your iPhone 4/4S and holds on tight. In fact, I had a bit of trouble trying to get the hard case off of my iPhone 4S until I figured out that I could push the phone out from the hole in the back of the case. It's made of an extremely hard polycarbonate/ABS material that feels like it could withstand the bite of an Australian Saltwater Crocodile with no problems, with a stainless steel bottle opener that slides out smoothly.
Although it seems a little expensive for a case, the Opena is built like a tank while still remaining relatively thin. I used the review case to open a bottle of beer for yesterday's TUAW TV Live (see video below, starting at 6:45), and then handed the phone and case to a bartender at a local burger joint so she could try it out. Since then, I've done a lot of research opening beer bottles and I give the Opena a definite thumbs-up. It's a little late to order one for Christmas, but hey -- it'll make a heck of a New Year's gift.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service