Daily Mac App: Fireworks HD
Some apps deliver exactly what they say on the package. Fireworks HD provides a display of artistic explosions to the desktop. Retailing for just $0.99, Fireworks HD works both as an app and a screen saver.
Unlike most fireworks apps, HD uses actual video footage rather than simulated emitter effects. That means the app download is 1.5 GB, and the full app takes up 3.55 GB in its basic release.
If you work with a primary SSD with limited storage space like I do, this might not be the best app for you. Or you might want to move it to a secondary drive and run it from there.
Are its sound effects "shockingly great" as the marketing text suggests? Actually, yes. They are far better than those you normally get in these kinds of apps. And the fireworks are quite lovely to look at. For several minutes at a time.
There's no "story" per se, the way there is in a real show and unless you really, really, really like fireworks, you might not feel that the huge disk requirements and the limited functionality make the app worth a purchase.
New Year's is coming up. If you're looking for a fireworks app, have lots of room on your disk, and are ready to supply your own music, it's a good one to have.
Some apps deliver exactly what they say on the package. Fireworks HD provides a display of artistic explosions to the desktop. Retailing...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Remote Desktop update brings OS X Mavericks support and improved multi-display support
- Valve revamps Steam Mobile for iOS
- Google Drive iOS app finally lets you sort items and find and replace in documents
- Viber announces Viber Out calls for iOS, goes head to head with Skype
- Amazon Cloud Drive Photos gains video, iPad support
- Pandora Radio 5.1: Wake up to your favorite station