Bed, Bath and Beyond selling off iCades for $49.99
Here's a weird deal that might work well if you poke around a bit: Bed, Bath and Beyond (which usually sells towels, sheets, and other household utilities) is apparently clearing out its inventory of iCade devices, per TouchArcade, which means that if you act fast and you're lucky, you might be able to pick one up from the retail store for $49.99. As of this writing, the arcade cabinet built for your iPad is available on BBB's website for the half-off price, and if you call around, you might find one at a store near you for just as cheap. These things usually sell on ThinkGeek for $100, so this is a pretty good deal if you can find it. As Mike's iMAME post noted last week, the cabinet works with MAME arcade emulators on jailbroken hardware and with quite a few App Store games.
Good luck out there. My guess is that BBB bought a bunch of these for the holiday season to sell as gifts, but didn't see the kinds of sales they expected to (which makes sense -- your standard housewares shopper probably wouldn't be after an iCade in the first place, necessarily). But that's cool; those of us who still haven't jumped on an iCade might be able to find them for cheap. It's been on sale before, but not quite this low. If you do get to pick one up, be sure to let us know what you think of it -- we definitely liked ours.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature