Daily iPad App: Fathead
There's something intriguing about Fathead, but honestly, I don't really know what it is. The game is pretty standard -- similar to other titles like Jelly Car or Epic Truck, the goal is to drive a physics-based vehicle across a 2D world, landing jumps and flips as you can. And Fathead has the same issues that those games have: The physics can be a little sticky, and the gameplay is a little simple, given that you really only have one button to control.
But Fathead remains fascinating anyway -- maybe it's the well-rendered little motorcyclist, but I found myself trying again and again to get to the next checkpoint and beat my previous score. I do wish there was a little more to the gameplay -- maybe there could be items to collect as you played along, some more tricks to do, or a little something else to mix up the gameplay just a little bit more.
But I can't argue that what's there is still well-done, spare and simple as it may be. There is Game Center integration for leaderboards and achievements, and I can only guess that updates are on the way as well. But for 99 cents for the universal version there's a solid chunk of entertainment to be had here.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service