Dear Aunt TUAW: Help me find a WiFi stumbler app for Lion
Dear Aunt TUAW,
I'm a Mac IT professional, and often find myself configuring, troubleshooting, and optimizing wireless networks.
In the past I used AP Grapher to graph wireless strength and find competing Wi-Fi networks as I walk around my clients' offices. This allows me to pick the best channel to use with the least competition, troubleshoot wireless strength, and find the optimal location for my hardware.
In Lion, AP Grapher has gone from unstable to unusable. I've found that it hasn't been updated since 2007.
I have tested other Mac stumbler applications, but have yet to find one that works with Lion. Most crash on launch and others don't reliably detect wireless networks.
Can you recommend a Mac application for graphing my wireless strength and recording info about competing wireless networks?
Your loving nephew,
You might also want to try out the Wi-Fi diagnostics app that's bundled with Lion's Core Services.
Dear Aunt TUAW, I'm a Mac IT professional, and often find myself configuring, troubleshooting, and optimizing wireless networks. In the...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daily App: MyScript Calculator solves your hand-written math equations
- Findery app lets you discover the world around you using annotated notes and maps
- The Learnist app brings its crowd-sourced collection of information to your iPhone
- My cat Cinnamon reviews Friskies Cat Fishing 2
- Photo Grid Collage Maker is capable and free
- iExit gets new features and is now free