Dear Aunt TUAW: Help me find a WiFi stumbler app for Lion
Dear Aunt TUAW,
I'm a Mac IT professional, and often find myself configuring, troubleshooting, and optimizing wireless networks.
In the past I used AP Grapher to graph wireless strength and find competing Wi-Fi networks as I walk around my clients' offices. This allows me to pick the best channel to use with the least competition, troubleshoot wireless strength, and find the optimal location for my hardware.
In Lion, AP Grapher has gone from unstable to unusable. I've found that it hasn't been updated since 2007.
I have tested other Mac stumbler applications, but have yet to find one that works with Lion. Most crash on launch and others don't reliably detect wireless networks.
Can you recommend a Mac application for graphing my wireless strength and recording info about competing wireless networks?
Your loving nephew,
You might also want to try out the Wi-Fi diagnostics app that's bundled with Lion's Core Services.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)