Dear Aunt TUAW: Should I clean up my drive?
Dear Aunt TUAW,
I was looking at some apps that claim to help remove stored caches and temporary files. Are these apps a good way to clean up my Mac and remove temporary files?
Your loving nephew,
Auntie is super-paranoid about these third-party tools. When it comes to clearing data, Auntie generally sticks with Apple's built-in functionality and reasonably-regular reboots.
Auntie knows how easy it is to mess up system files and how hard it is to restore to a pre-mess state. They say Time Machine heals all wounds, but despite the name it doesn't actually get your time back.
Got advice for Chris? Disagree with Auntie? Leave a note in the comments.
Dear Aunt TUAW, I was looking at some apps that claim to help remove stored caches and temporary files. Are these apps a good way to clean...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Readdle rolls out PDF Expert 5: iCloud support, shared folder with Documents by Readdle
- FlightTrack 5: new look and features just in time for holiday travel
- HBO Go for iOS update adds Google Chromecast support
- Haiku Deck updates iPad app, launches web-based cloud version
- Weather Underground iPhone app gets crowdsourced weather, iOS 7 style
- Apple updates iMovie, adds support for older Macs