Dear Aunt TUAW: Should I clean up my drive?
Dear Aunt TUAW,
I was looking at some apps that claim to help remove stored caches and temporary files. Are these apps a good way to clean up my Mac and remove temporary files?
Your loving nephew,
Auntie is super-paranoid about these third-party tools. When it comes to clearing data, Auntie generally sticks with Apple's built-in functionality and reasonably-regular reboots.
Auntie knows how easy it is to mess up system files and how hard it is to restore to a pre-mess state. They say Time Machine heals all wounds, but despite the name it doesn't actually get your time back.
Got advice for Chris? Disagree with Auntie? Leave a note in the comments.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)