TheO is a ball that lets you toss your iPhone for fun
If you want to get up and move while you game with your iPhone, you should check out TheO ball. Created by Physical Apps, LLC, TheO is a soft foam ball that serves as a cradle for your iPhone or iPod touch. It was introduced at the 2012 Toy Fair in New York where it won the Popular Science Best of Toy Fair 2012 award.
The iPhone or iPod sits in the center of the foam ball and the system lets you toss or roll your iPhone across the floor as part of a game. Currently, Physical Apps has three free games including a bowling app, Hot Potato and Interrogo, a social game you play with friends.
The company is wisely releasing an API so other developers can take advantage of this motion-based system. It's very Wii-like in it's approach to mobile gaming and may catch on if developers can convince people it's OK to toss their US$600 iPhone across the room.
TheO is expected to debut in May with a street price of $24.95. Games will likely be priced from $1.99 to $4.99. You can watch a promotional video of the system below.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV