Apple announces new Apple TV with 1080p support, still just $99
After weeks of seeing the Apple TV slowly disappear from retail shelves, Apple announced the third generation of its "hobby" device today during the live press event. The new Apple TV is externally identical to its predecessor, but the big new feature is its support for full 1080p video playback.
The device has a redesigned user interface with special emphasis on Photo Stream and Movie content, all of which are available in full HD and use Apple's cloud services to get them on the device.
There's no official word yet on what processor is running all this, but it's a safe bet it's an A5 chip or later. Apple TV will be available on March 16 for US$99, but pre-orders start today.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync