Apple's "obligation" to help fix America's problems
Does Apple have an obligation to help solve America's financial woes? That's a question addressed by Clyde Prestowitz in a special edition article on CNN.
Prestowitz, founder and president of Economic Strategy Institute, argues that Apple should use its position to drive manufacturing back to the US and Mexico. He points to Samsung, which is building processors for Apple in an Austin, Texas plant, as an example how this homegrown manufacturing idea could work. Not only would it help the US economy, it would also alleviate the problems Apple is facing from poor working conditions in Chinese factories.
This notion runs counter to a recent New York Times report that claims North America doesn't have the infrastructure or labor force to support Apple's operations (here's our take on that). Apple's demands are high and require factories and workers capable of producing millions of devices each month.
Does Apple have an obligation to help solve America's financial woes? That's a question addressed by Clyde Prestowitz in a special...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Pandora Radio 5.1: Wake up to your favorite station
- Microsoft revamps Bing for iPad
- Readdle rolls out PDF Expert 5: iCloud support, shared folder with Documents by Readdle
- FlightTrack 5: new look and features just in time for holiday travel
- HBO Go for iOS update adds Google Chromecast support
- Haiku Deck updates iPad app, launches web-based cloud version