Kaspersky Lab: Macs not invulnerable to malware
The writing is on the wall. Our time of innocence is gone. Researchers from Kaspersky Labs claim Mac market share has finally reached the critical point, and the platform is now an attractive target for online criminals.
Kaspersky told Ars Technica and other press on Thursday that, "Mac users can expect "more drive-by downloads, more Mac OS X mass-malware, and more cross-platform exploit kits with Mac-specific exploits."
It's not all doom and gloom. Infections in the wild are still sparse, and Apple may slow the spread of future threats with the introduction of Gatekeeper in Mac OS X Mountain Lion. Among other things, Gatekeeper will prevent users from "unknowingly downloading and installing malicious software."
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync