HackStore collects non-Mac App Store apps together
The Cydia store serves up apps to those with jailbroken iOS devices, but what about Mac users who don't want to use Apple's Mac App Store? Now, they have HackStore, a free app put together by Andrey Fedotov. HackStore is a collection of non-Mac App Store releases like Filezilla, GIMP, and Plex. Yes, you could just go to the various websites and download those apps for free, but why should those who don't want to play in Apple's walled garden miss out on a real App Store experience?
The drawback is that, just like Cydia, most of these apps haven't been sanctioned by Apple directly, so download and install these at your own risk. HackStore does allow those unwilling to be part of Apple's system to have a little system of their own. As Fedotov says, "This program for me is the epitome of Cydia for iOS, but on a Mac OS." Whatever doesn't fly in the official store, he'll happily put in this app. And no jailbreaking needed!
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options