Twelve South HoverBar: Review and giveaway
Every once in a while I receive hardware for review that ends up becoming such an integral part of my setup that I forget to write the review, and that's been the case with the Twelve South HoverBar (US$79.99). The HoverBar is a unique product that's meant to mount an iPad to a desk, a cubicle wall, an iMac or an Apple Display. Let's take a look at the HoverBar, and then you'll have an opportunity to win one from Twelve South and TUAW.
Twelve South is well-known for two things: the fact that they make accessories for Apple products only and their great design sense. In the case of the HoverBar, the product can actually be used with two Apple products. During my review, I used it with an iPad 2 and a 27" iMac to create a unique side-by-side layout of those two devices.
The HoverBar is currently designed to hold only an iPad 2, not the new iPad or the original model. However, the company is working on the design of a clip that works with the new iPad and will be available at a price to current HoverBar owners.
The HoverBar is perfect for those situations where you want an iPad easily at hand but don't necessarily want to hold onto it. It becomes a third arm and hand to hold the iPad in place. I used the HoverBar with Avatron's Air Display to turn my iPad 2 into a small Mac monitor.
Installing the HoverBar is quite simple. You attach a clamp that is used to "grab" onto a desktop or the upright of an iMac to a flexible arm. The other end of the arm has a ball and socket joint that is connected to a plastic iPad clip. Pop the iPad into the clip, adjust the arm to the location where you want the iPad to sit, and you're ready to go.
Due to the weight of the iPad, I found that the flexible arm tended to sag a little bit after I put the iPad into the clip. That was easily remedied by bending the flexible arm up slightly. I also found that tapping on the iPad to bring up an app tended to cause the iPad to move a bit; once again, there was a simple workaround -- I started holding the iPad clip with one hand when tapping on the iPad screen to keep it from moving.
The clamp that attaches to your desktop, display, or iMac needs to be tightened down good; an iPad on the end of a flexible arm creates a bit of torque, and you'll want to make sure that you use the included hex wrench to tighten the vise-like clamp as much as possible. I neglected to do this the first time I attached the HoverBar to my iMac, and unfortunately it slipped off the iMac. My iPad was OK, but the flexible arm flipped up and destroyed a small Zuni fetish sculpture carved out of stone that was adorning my desk. Ooops.
For those who need to use an iPad and Mac in close proximity, the HoverBar is unequaled. As usual, Twelve South hit the market first with a product that is beautiful, functional and well-built.
And now, a chance to win our review HoverBar! Note that this particular model is designed for the iPad 2 -- if you have a third-generation iPad you'll need to wait until the new iPad clip is available, and the purchase of that piece is on your dime. But if you have an iPad 2, this HoverBar is just what you want. Here are the rules:
- Open to legal US residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are 18 and older.
- To enter, fill out the form below completely and click or tap the Submit button.
- The entry must be made before May 2, 2012 at 11:59PM Eastern Standard Time.
- You may enter only once.
- One winner will be selected and will receive a Twelve South HoverBar valued at $79.99
- Click Here for complete Official Rules.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daylite 5 adds refinements to the business management app
- 1Password 4.5 for iOS gains features, slims down
- IFTTT for iPad brings service/device mashups to your favorite tablet
- Daily App: Rormix brings indie music videos to your iPhone and iPad
- Pebble updates its iOS app with new apps, sharing options and v2.1 fix
- PSA: Pebble for iOS v.2.1 update contains critical flaw that breaks the app - Update