Dear Aunt TUAW: Where should I buy my George R. R. Martin fix?
Dear Aunt TUAW,
I want to buy "A Dance with Dragons" as an eBook and I am hesitating between buying it for Kindle or iBooks, the reason being the Kindle version will be available on my Mac, my iPhone and my iPad. Is it possible to do the same if I buy it for iBooks or will I be "stuck" with reading on my iPhone and iPad?
Your loving nephew,
Although Auntie is looking forward to iBooks for Mountain Lion, she's not holding her breath either. Apple hasn't announced it.
The practical answer is that Kindle books can be read anywhere: from Macs to Windows, Linux to Android, iOS to webOS. Plus, Kindle books can be loaned. iBooks is iOS-only.
So yes, if you buy it for iBooks, you'll be "stuck" reading on your iPhone or iPad, which isn't a horrible thing for most people but keeps you from reading it on your Mac.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service