Google search app for iPhone, iPad re-designed
For some reason I hadn't quite relegated the Google Search app on my iPhone to a folder, where most apps go to die. But it should have. The old Google Search app was atrocious -- a seemingly willful expenditure of effort on something so terrible it would serve to dissuade people from using it (or iOS) altogether. The new Google app is 100% better.
On the iPhone, I'm noticing more UI niceties, and the "app" gets out of your way as much as possible. The previous version was full of irritating usability quirks. Once Siri came along, I all but forgot it existed.
Google Goggles, however, and the picture searches possible, are great (though not new). The iPad app is really quite pleasing to use, and having all the Google apps in one handy interface is also very welcome.
It's free, so try it out and see if Google's updated Search app is your cup of tea.
Deals of the Daymore deals
Software Updatesmore updates
- Agile Partners releases Lick of the Day 2.0
- Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 Update 14.3.4
- Pixelmator 2.2 available with over 100 new features and improvements
- DabKick for iPhone lets you share photos, watch videos and now listen to music in real-time
- Google Now added to search app on iPhone, iPad
- GateGuru for iPhone has been updated and greatly improved