Watch free bad movies on your iOS device with PopcornFlix
I admit it. I'm a bad movie fan. Give me something by Ed Wood, or titles like "Robot Monster" or "Invasion of the Bee Girls" and I'm a happy guy. It's not that I dislike good movies, but the bad ones are entertaining in a kind of strange way. You wonder how such a train wreck was possible. How did it get produced? Maybe it just makes me feel better about life knowing there are a lot of failures out there.
Now, you can bring a terrific (abysmal) collection of bad films to your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch. The app is called Popcornflix, and it is absolutely free, which is what the offered movies are worth.
You can search by an actor's name (you probably never heard of them), title (same problem there) or genre (horror, comedy, etc.).
The only downside is the ads. You'll get an ad when you select a film, then another ad when you get through the first ad. Some of the ads run in portrait mode only. If you pause the movie, you're sometimes dumped back to the app home screen and you can't resume where you left off (a terrible feature). There's no AirPlay support either.
Having said all that, if you're stuck at an airport or have a block of time on your hands that you want to kill, I can't think of a better app that serves the purpose. With titles like "Night Junkies" and "Bride of the Dragon" (can't find any references for this one) you won't exactly be in Oscar territory, but you might be entertained and have a good laugh.
Popcornflix is a universal app, and can stream movies over WiFi or 3G. It requires iOS 5.0 or later.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features