Sandboxing keeps TextExpander 4 out of the Mac App Store
Smile released TextExpander 4 today, with a whole slew of new features. But don't zip over to the Mac App Store to find it -- the company is one of the first and most notable to remove an app from the Mac App Store as it can't be sandboxed. Sandboxing is required for Mountain Lion apps that will be sold through the Mac App Store, and protects systems and users by limiting the resources apps can access.
That doesn't mean that TextExpander 4 cannot be used on Mountain Lion Macs; in fact, Smile made a point in their PR blast this morning that the app is signed with a Developer ID from Apple to work with Gatekeeper in Mountain Lion.
The list of new features is pretty lengthy:
- New fill-in types: multiple line text fields, pop-up menus, optional text sections
- Supports default values for text and popup fill-ins
- Edit fill-ins and options with popup interface
- Expand snippets and switch apps while using fill-ins
- Improved statistics with graphical display (and the ability to tweet your stats)
- Hands-on tutorial for new users
- Contextual menus for snippet editor and list
- Updated appearance for Lion and Mountain Lion
- French and German autocorrect groups
So if TextExpander 4 isn't in the Mac App Store anymore, how do you purchase it? Easy -- just go to the Smile website and download a fully-functioning demo, and you can purchase a license from within the app. The app sells for US$34.95, a family pack is $44.95, and an office pack (covers five users in an office) is $99.95. Upgrades are free for users who purchased TextExpander after January 15, 2012, and $15 for those who purchased the app before that date. The upgrade can be purchased from the app as well.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration