Improve your Safari YouTube watching experience
In recent months, have you noticed your Safari-based YouTube watching experience degrade further and further? Are you hopping into Chrome or FireFox just so you can see NyanCats fly? TUAW reader Tim has uncovered a reason this might be happening.
He writes, "The last few months, I've been ticked off at YouTube because it seems like every video I tried to play would keep reloading over and over and the page wouldn't load. I tried resetting Safari, reloading Flash, (ugh), etc, etc, etc. Things would work fine on other browsers, but not Safari."
After doing some legwork, he discovered that Google has deployed a HTML5 video test into its user base. That this option is automatically enabled for many users. To check whether you've been included, visit this Youtube page and scroll down towards the bottom. If you see the evil green checkmark, click the blue "Leave the HTML5 trial." Instantly, you gain 50 karma points and often your video just starts working properly.
Tim adds, "Just thought you guys might want to reshare this one. I'm doing my good deed for the day." We agree. Thanks, Tim!
In recent months, have you noticed your Safari-based YouTube watching experience degrade further and further? Are you hopping into...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daily App: MyScript Calculator solves your hand-written math equations
- Findery app lets you discover the world around you using annotated notes and maps
- The Learnist app brings its crowd-sourced collection of information to your iPhone
- My cat Cinnamon reviews Friskies Cat Fishing 2
- Photo Grid Collage Maker is capable and free
- iExit gets new features and is now free