Review and Giveaway: The new and improved Twelve South BookBook iPad case
Twelve South recently updated the design of the Twelve South BookBook iPad case, and the company wasted no time in getting TUAW a sample to review. The new BookBook Volume 2 for iPad (US$79.99) picks up where the earlier version (reviewed here) left off and adds some new features that you're sure to love. Read the review, decide if it's for you, and then enter our giveaway to win this classic iPad case or a BookBook for iPhone 4/4S.
Like the original BookBook for iPad, the new model mimics the look of an old book. While most other iPad cases of this genre tend to use nice, new materials on the exterior, Twelve South has always made the BookBook look like something that you picked up at a library book sale twenty years ago and gave to the kids to beat up. That's not a bad thing -- the distressed leather exterior is designed to look like an old book and hopefully keep burglars from picking up your iPad. Of course, they may think it's a rare first edition of A Passage to India and try to sell it at a book auction for $10,000...
The BookBook Vol 2 comes in a nice little drawstring bag, although you may not see that packaging detail in retail stores. The case comes in three different finishes: classic black, vintage brown, and vibrant red. All have gold ink highlights on the cover and a realistic title and volume number on the spine.
Frankly, I wasn't a fan of the cheesy straps that held the iPad in place with the original BookBook. Now TwelveSouth has replaced those straps with a snug leather enclosure that you slip the second- or third-generation iPad into. That enclosure has a new function as well -- there are two snaps that hold it into place for regular use, or you can unsnap the enclosure and flip it up to use a new leather kickstand to hold the iPad in a comfortable typing position. Take that, Microsoft Surface!
When you've reviewed several hundred iPad cases, it's easy to become jaded. Let's face it; they all do the same thing -- protecting your iPad in one way or another. With a case like the BookBook, most of the value of the case comes not in the level of protection provided, but in how cool it looks on your iPad.
The old BookBook for iPad, in my opinion, didn't do a very good job of holding the iPad in comfortable viewing positions. That has changed in the new BookBook, which props up nicely in landscape orientation and also (using that little leather kickstand) a typing position. The inside of the case has a soft, fuzzy material that also serves to pad and protect the screen of the iPad.
If you like retro or antique-looking materials, then you're going to fall in love with the BookBook for iPad. The best way to describe it? Beautiful.
The few gripes I had about the original BookBook for iPad have been addressed. I honestly can't think of any negatives about this case -- it's beautiful and functional, it gracefully ages with scuffs to the exterior, and it's priced perfectly for the type of quality you're getting. Twelve South has created a top-notch iPad case at a reasonable price point.
- Beautiful faux antique leather book-type case
- Attention to details on the exterior
- Does a great job of propping up the iPad for typing or viewing video
- Easy to install or remove iPad
- None -- except that I have to give away this case!
Who is it for?
- The owner of a second- or third-generation iPad who wants a classy and beautiful case for protection
It is our policy here at TUAW to give away all equipment and peripherals that we review. That's good for many reasons -- it keeps us honest, it gives us a chance to "share the wealth" with our readers, and it keeps our offices from looking like a hoarder's home. You can enter to win a classic black BookBook Volume 2 for iPad or a classic black BookBook for iPhone 4/4S by filling out and submitting the form below.
Here are the rules for the giveaway:
- Open to legal US residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are 18 and older.
- To enter, fill out the form below completely and click or tap the Submit button.
- The entry must be made before June 28, 2012 11:59PM Eastern Daylight Time.
- You may enter only once.
- Two winners will be selected. One will receive a Twelve South BookBook Volume 2 for iPad valued at US$79.99, while the other will receive a Twelve South BookBook for iPhone 4/4S valued at $59.99.
- Click Here for complete Official Rules.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync