GameDock would turn your iPhone into a retro gaming station
Gaming is obviously a big deal on iOS, but traditional gamers generally want something that the iPhone and the iPad don't provide: Buttons. Gaming on a touchscreen works in many cases, but for some games and some genres, you need a d-pad and some buttons to press. We've already seen some popular third party solutions to that problem (including the uber popular iCade), and here comes another one, in the form of a Kickstarter project called the GameDock.
The GameDock is still seeking funding, which makes it still just an idea at this point. But it does have a few things going for it, including a nice-looking dock for any iOS devices you happen to have that will plug right into a television, throwing your games and apps right up on the screen. There are also two retro controller ports on the dock, and the controllers will smartly work along with the iCade protocol, so any games compatible with iCade will work on this.
I'm not ready to start singing this product's praises just yet -- let's wait until they actually make their goal, and then make some devices for real. But it is a good idea, and if you've been seeking some solid buttons for your iOS games, it might be worth your backing money.
[via The Verge]
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)