Goal Zero's Solar Chargers light up the Outdoor Retailer show
The Outdoor Retailer show wrapped up on Sunday in Salt Lake City, Utah, and there were a surprising number of accessories and apps introduced at the annual trade show of interest to TUAW readers. Goal Zero, a company that specializes in portable solar chargers, introduced two new solar recharging kits that are designed to keep your Apple and other devices going when there's no power outlet nearby.
The Sherpa 50 (at top) packs enough power to keep your iPad going for up to 15 hours, and can be charged by the sun in 5 to 10 hours with the Nomad 13 solar panel. The Sherpa 50 can also add up to 3 hours of life to your laptop.
A much more portable solution to keep your iPhone or iPod touch powered up to 8 hours longer is the Switch 8 (below). Slightly smaller than a roll of quarters and weighing just 4 ounces, the Switch 8 can be fully charged up by the sun in 6 to 12 hours by the Nomad 3.5 solar panel.
Pricing for the Goal Zero kits (including the solar chargers and accompanying solar panels) is US$399.99 for the Sherpa 50 and $199.99 for the Switch 8. The kits should prove to be a valuable tool for outdoors enthusiasts and emergency preparation.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)