Loop Mummy iPhone case / Nano watchband bring Chi-town flair to accessories
Loop Attachment Co. is a Chicago-based design firm with a mission: to create accessories for those Apple products we're "attached" to. The three creative professionals involved in the company started off with a low-cost silicone alternative to the overpriced iPod nano 6G/7G watch bands that were flooding the market, and now moved on to a fun and functional iPhone case called the Mummy. Let's take a look at the Loop Mummy iPhone 4/4S case (US$25) and the Loop Nano watchband ($20), and then you can have a chance to win one of these accessories.
Loop Mummy iPhone case
In case you're wondering where the name for this case came from, it's because of the "strips of cloth" look on the back of this silicone case. Combined with the colors that are used in the construction -- black, white, graphite, neon green, neon blue, red, magenta, powder blue, orange, purple -- those strips prove to have quite a visual impact against the natural color of your iPhone 4/4S.
The strips also provide a useful function; while silicone is naturally easy to grip, the strips provide a bit more friction to prevent dropping your phone. If I had to guess, I'd say that the designers have suffered through more than one hot, humid summer in the Second City, and they know how easy it is to drop a mobile phone from a sweaty hand.
The case is a piece of cake to install and remove. The silicone material stretches just enough to make it easy to slide on and off your iPhone. The Mummy case is so inexpensive in comparison to some other cases I've reviewed that it's no wonder Loop Attachment sells them in combos -- you can buy 3-packs that contain a variety of colors. My personal favorite? The "Good 'n Plenty" combo of purple, pink and white, as it reminds me of my secret vice...
Loop Attachment's Mummy iPhone 4/4S case is a fun, colorful, inexpensive, and attractive silicone iPhone case.
- Inexpensive compared to most iPhone cases
- Silicone provides good protection against accidental drops
- Unique "mummy cloth strips" design provides additional gripping surface to prevent drops
- None to speak of
Who is it for?
- Anyone who wants a strikingly attractive, fun, and low-cost way of protecting their iPhone 4/4S
Loop Nano Watchband
The second product I'm looking at today is the Loop Nano watch band. Like the Mummy, it's made out of a single molded piece of brightly-colored silicone. Like the Mummy, it's available in a spectrum of colors -- black, white, graphite, blue, green, pink and red.
Some of the iPod nano watchbands that I've reviewed in the past have been ridiculously expensive, like the Deckster Re:Class iPod nano watchband (CAD$165). Most have added a metal backplate to the watchband to clip the nano to, which ends up creating an absurdly thick watch. The Loop Nano resolves both of those issues. It's downright inexpensive at $20, and you can even order them in a three-pack combo. It is also designed so that the iPod nano clips directly to the band and is cradled in the silicone, making the band quite comfortable and thinner.
Like many people, I no longer wear a watch, using my iPhone as a timepiece instead. But the Loop Nano is the first of these watchbands that I've felt was comfortable enough to actually wear on a regular basis.
Have an iPod nano? Want to wear it as a watch/music player? Don't have a lot of money to waste on a pricey watchband? Get the Loop Nano ... or get three. A trio of these will only put you back $50.
- Easy to install the nano into the watchband
- The area under the watchband can get a bit sweaty quite quickly as the silicone doesn't "breathe"
Who is it for?
- Anyone who'd like to use an iPod nano as a watch but would rather not spend an arm and a leg
We have a pair of Loop Mummy iPhone 4/4S cases (one neon green, the other red), and a pair of Loop Nano watchbands (one graphite, the other blue) to give away. Four prizes, four winners! Here are the rules for the giveaway:
- Open to legal US residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are 18 and older.
- To enter, fill out the form below completely and click or tap the Submit button.
- The entry must be made before Wednesday, August 22, 2012 11:59PM Eastern Daylight Time.
- You may enter only once.
- Four winners will be selected. Two will receive a Loop Mummy iPhone 4/4S case valued at $25, while two will get a Loop Nano iPod nano watchband valued at $20.
- Click Here for complete Official Rules.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature