iPhone 5 not yet announced, SIM adapters already available
The iPhone isn't expected to hit retail shelves until late this month (the announcement event will occur on September 12th) but its new nano-SIM cards may already be shipping, according to the International Business Times. TUAW wrote about similar shipments in a post earlier today.
Micro-SIM Shop, which we've covered in the past, is now offering adapters for the new nano size. Adapters allow you to stick a working SIM into a plastic cradle for use in older units. This is great for when you're going on trips and would rather not take along your most modern unit.
As with the earlier items I tested, these were quite sturdy -- stiffer than you'd think and sized perfectly to fit into iPhone 4S / 4 (smaller) and 3GS SIM (larger) slots. The adapter places the SIM connectors at the right place so the older iPhones and iPads can read them.
Micro-SIM Shop is selling the nano adapters for €3 for one or €11 for five. Shipping worldwide costs €3.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app
- Dropbox for iOS update adds new setup and file management options
- Amazon Instant Video app now offers free, ad-supported TV episodes, new HBO shows