New headphones for iPhone, iPod touch: EarPods
Apple has shipped 600 million sets of its iconic white earbuds, but over the past three years it's taken the design back to the drawing board. The result is the EarPod, a significant redesign.
EarPods are differently shaped compared to the old earbuds, which should mean greater comfort for a wide variety of users. They don't create a seal like in-ear headphones, but the shaping and ports are designed for optimal comfort and sound. There's a sound port in the back for mid-tones, another port in the stem, and the main port pointing directly into the ear canal.
EarPods can be bought by themselves, but they will also be shipping standard with the iPhone 5, new iPod touch and new iPod nano.
These new earphones probably won't satisfy demanding audiophiles, but they do look like a significant improvement over the old design. Hopefully they sound just as good as their design implies they should.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daylite 5 adds refinements to the business management app
- 1Password 4.5 for iOS gains features, slims down
- IFTTT for iPad brings service/device mashups to your favorite tablet
- Daily App: Rormix brings indie music videos to your iPhone and iPad
- Pebble updates its iOS app with new apps, sharing options and v2.1 fix
- PSA: Pebble for iOS v.2.1 update contains critical flaw that breaks the app - Update