Duo Games reveals Gameloft-branded iOS controller, coming very soon
iOS publisher Gameloft has teamed up with Duo Games to make a Bluetooth-powered controller for iOS games, called the Duo Gamer controller. As you can see above, the controller comes with a tablet stand for your iPad. It features a d-pad and four buttons (as is pretty standard for these sorts of things), plus two analog sticks for FPS look/shoot movement or anything else developers want to use them for.
The big feature of this controller is in the software. It's co-branded with Gameloft, which means that all of Gameloft's popular iOS games will work with it out of the box.
That includes big series like NOVA, Modern Combat, and the upcoming Wild Blood, all big-budget mobile titles that borrow heavy influence from console games, where these analog sticks are used as well. In other words, Gameloft is trying to bring the full console experience to Apple's tablet, courtesy of this gamepad.
Presumably the API for this controller will be open (ideally, it would also work with the iCade standard, but IGN doesn't mention whether that's the case in its writeup or not), so any developer will be able to program their games to work with it. Even if not, however, the Gameloft library has a large audience as is, and just knowing any future titles will be compatible will go a long way toward pleasing fans of the company's games. The Duo Gamer controller is set to show up in stores right around now, for an MSRP of US$79.99.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Readdle rolls out PDF Expert 5: iCloud support, shared folder with Documents by Readdle
- FlightTrack 5: new look and features just in time for holiday travel
- HBO Go for iOS update adds Google Chromecast support
- Haiku Deck updates iPad app, launches web-based cloud version
- Weather Underground iPhone app gets crowdsourced weather, iOS 7 style
- Apple updates iMovie, adds support for older Macs