Software updates: HP Printer Software 2.12, Java 2012-006
There are some goodies in Software Update/the Mac App Store tonight: Apple has released the HP Printer Software Update 2.12, adding support for additional HP printers, and the Java for OS X 2012-006 1.0 update.
The Java update implements a fairly important change in the ongoing transition from Apple's homegrown JVM to the Oracle-provided version: it uninstalls Apple's browser plugin for Java from all browsers. After the update, you'll see "missing plug-in" alerts if you surf to a page with an embedded Java applet. Clicking the alert will take you to Oracle's site to download the replacement plugin. The Java Preferences application is also removed by the update, as it is apparently no longer needed.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration