Software updates: HP Printer Software 2.12, Java 2012-006
There are some goodies in Software Update/the Mac App Store tonight: Apple has released the HP Printer Software Update 2.12, adding support for additional HP printers, and the Java for OS X 2012-006 1.0 update.
The Java update implements a fairly important change in the ongoing transition from Apple's homegrown JVM to the Oracle-provided version: it uninstalls Apple's browser plugin for Java from all browsers. After the update, you'll see "missing plug-in" alerts if you surf to a page with an embedded Java applet. Clicking the alert will take you to Oracle's site to download the replacement plugin. The Java Preferences application is also removed by the update, as it is apparently no longer needed.
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter