Software updates: HP Printer Software 2.12, Java 2012-006
There are some goodies in Software Update/the Mac App Store tonight: Apple has released the HP Printer Software Update 2.12, adding support for additional HP printers, and the Java for OS X 2012-006 1.0 update.
The Java update implements a fairly important change in the ongoing transition from Apple's homegrown JVM to the Oracle-provided version: it uninstalls Apple's browser plugin for Java from all browsers. After the update, you'll see "missing plug-in" alerts if you surf to a page with an embedded Java applet. Clicking the alert will take you to Oracle's site to download the replacement plugin. The Java Preferences application is also removed by the update, as it is apparently no longer needed.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Readdle rolls out PDF Expert 5: iCloud support, shared folder with Documents by Readdle
- FlightTrack 5: new look and features just in time for holiday travel
- HBO Go for iOS update adds Google Chromecast support
- Haiku Deck updates iPad app, launches web-based cloud version
- Weather Underground iPhone app gets crowdsourced weather, iOS 7 style
- Apple updates iMovie, adds support for older Macs