Software updates: HP Printer Software 2.12, Java 2012-006
There are some goodies in Software Update/the Mac App Store tonight: Apple has released the HP Printer Software Update 2.12, adding support for additional HP printers, and the Java for OS X 2012-006 1.0 update.
The Java update implements a fairly important change in the ongoing transition from Apple's homegrown JVM to the Oracle-provided version: it uninstalls Apple's browser plugin for Java from all browsers. After the update, you'll see "missing plug-in" alerts if you surf to a page with an embedded Java applet. Clicking the alert will take you to Oracle's site to download the replacement plugin. The Java Preferences application is also removed by the update, as it is apparently no longer needed.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daily App: MyScript Calculator solves your hand-written math equations
- Findery app lets you discover the world around you using annotated notes and maps
- The Learnist app brings its crowd-sourced collection of information to your iPhone
- My cat Cinnamon reviews Friskies Cat Fishing 2
- Photo Grid Collage Maker is capable and free
- iExit gets new features and is now free