Apple schedules November "MFi" conference in Shenzhen, China
Licensed third-party accessory manufacturers will meet in Shenzhen, China, November 7-9 at an Apple-sponsored "Made for iPhone/iPod/iPad" (MFi) conference. It's expected that hundreds of manufacturers will attend to learn about Apple's licensing program and hear details of new product directions.
As Apple followers might expect, the new Lightning connector is on the agenda for the conference, with a "Designing Lightning Accessories" session the first day. Apple's new connector is expected to make it to all iOS and iPod devices within the next six months or so, and other sessions on "Transitioning from Analog to Digital" and "MFi Program Changes" might also provide licensees with details on the somewhat expensive internals of the new connector.
Also on tap are sessions focusing on the new Bluetooth 4.0 standard, which provides for both a new low-power mode for battery savings on devices like Bluetooth pedometers as well as a dual radios for accessories that need to support older Bluetooth devices.
Not to be forgotten in the rush to new standards, Apple's AirPlay and AirPrint are also receiving attention. 9to5Mac has a copy of the conference agenda available for your perusal.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app