Mac Game of the Week: Cthulhu Saves the World is the best version of a great RPG
I already sang the praises of Zeboyd Games' Cthulhu Saves the World when it appeared on iOS: I think the world could use about a million more of these kinds of classic Japanese RPGs (and Zeboyd's latest title, Penny Arcade 3, just arrived on the App Store.) But I also admitted that playing Lovecraft's God of Madness' adventure on a touchscreen wasn't ideal. The movement controls, specifically, threatened to rub the print off of my finger with all of the swiping I was doing.
If anything, that makes CSTW an even better fit for the Mac App Store, where it arrived recently. This might be the ideal build for the game, as not only can you play it on a Mac's big, beautiful screen, but there are multiple modes, add-ons and new features to play with as well. You can play in the "Highlander" mode, for example, where you can only use one character but get four times the XP. Or the "Cthulhu's Angels" mode, which remixes the game up with new characters, dialogue and bosses.
This is a fantastic game. If you've passed on it before, don't miss it this time. Heck, at the price of US$1.99, you might want to go ahead and buy it again just to see what it's like on the Mac.
Cthulhu Saves the World is available on the Mac App Store.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)