Just Mobile's AluBase and AluRack give your MacBook a new place to live
A few weeks ago, TUAW featured an Engadget interview with Erich Huang and Nils Gustafsson of Just Mobile, a design firm that specializes in creating accessories to compliment your Apple products. The company uses materials in its products that are as identical as possible to those used in official Apple products, and they work with well-known European designers to create highly functional and attractive accessories. Now Just Mobile is shipping the AluBase (US$49.95) and AluRack ($59.95), two new products designed by the Danish firm of Jakob Wagner.
First, let's look at the AluRack above. It has one purpose in life: To mount a hard drive or MacBook onto the riser of an iMac or Apple Display. It can do this without causing any damage to the computer or monitor by screwing together through the hole in the riser and by using a rubberized pad at the contact point.
Once the AluRack is installed on that riser, a MacBook can be placed into the anti-scratch TPR cradle and be out of sight as you work. For an iMac, it's the perfect place to put a backup disk drive.
Next, the AluBase (above) is similar in function to competing products from some other companies, including Twelve South's BookArc. Basically, its goal is to hold your MacBook in a vertical position next to an external monitor.
Rather than being designed for just one model of MacBook, the AluBase has replaceable inserts to fit the MacBook Pro, MacBook Air and MacBook Pro with Retina display families. The base itself is machined from aluminum and has non-skid rubber on the bottom to keep the stand and your MacBook from sliding off of a desktop or table.
Both products are packaged in Just Mobile's signature boxes, which feature a magnetic "latch" to keep the front cover closed. They feel extremely solid, and the finish of the products is second only to that on Apple's products.
Now you get your chance to win a brand new AluRack or AluBase from Just Mobile and TUAW. Here are the rules for the giveaway:
- Open to legal US residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are 18 and older.
- To enter, fill out the form below completely and click or tap the Submit button.
- The entry must be made before Friday, November 2, 2012 11:59PM Eastern Daylight Time.
- You may enter only once.
- Two winners will be selected. One will receive a Just Mobile AluBase, valued at $49.95, while the second winner receives a Just Mobile AluRack valued at $59.95.
- Click Here for complete Official Rules.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)