Twelve South HiRise for MacBook
Twelve South just announced another of their good-looking and extremely functional products for Apple -- the Twelve South HiRise for MacBook (US$69.99). Like the other entry in the HiRise line, the HiRise for iMac and Cinema Display, the HiRise for MacBook is designed to lift up your device above a table or desk surface to give you a bit more space to put stuff.
Like many of Apple's iconic products, the HiRise for MacBook is made out of aluminum. There's a "foot" that sits upon your desktop with an adjustable riser that ends in a "swept-wing vee" to hold your MacBook. That aluminum vee is covered with a non-slip material to keep your pride and joy from sliding off.
It looks great and works with all of Apple's MacBooks from the 11" MacBook Air up to the 15" models. If you still have one of those monstrous 17" MacBook Pros, you're out of luck. The riser can be adjusted by up to six inches, allowing the MacBook's screen to be bottom-aligned with an external monitor. You won't be typing on your MacBook while it's on the stand. Instead, it's designed to work with an external and preferably wireless keyboard and mouse or trackpad.
The HiRise for MacBook feels solid; that's one of the hallmarks of the Twelve South products we've reviewed previously. There's no need to feel like your MacBook is going to slide off of the HiRise -- it's not going anywhere.
As with most products from Twelve South, the HiRise for MacBook is beautifully packaged. Popping open that package, you're greeted with a bright red liner and a thank you note. The HiRise is pre-assembled, so once you've removed it from the box it's ready to go.
Adjusting the height is done by loosening a knurled screw by hand, moving the "wing" up or down, and then tightening the screw again. Once adjusted, the HiRise stays in place. While I don't have an external monitor to use with my MacBook Air, I could see how useful the HiRise would be to someone who does.
For anyone who uses their MacBook as a primary machine with an external monitor, keyboard and pointing device, the HiRise for MacBook is a perfect solution for aligning the monitors to the same height and giving you some additional storage space on your desktop. The HiRise for MacBook is another fine product from the design geniuses at Twelve South.
- Extremely well-constructed
- Beautiful design that compliments any aluminum unibody MacBook
- Adjustable to align with almost any external monitor
Who is it for?
- Anyone with a MacBook who uses it with an external monitor, keyboard, and pointing device.
Some lucky TUAW reader is going to get a free HiRise for MacBook valued at $69.99 courtesy of Twelve South. Here are the rules for the giveaway:
- Open to legal US residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are 18 and older.
- To enter, fill out the form below completely and click or tap the Submit button.
- The entry must be made before Sunday, November 4, 2012 11:59PM Eastern Daylight Time.
- You may enter only once.
- One winner will be selected and will receive a Twelve South HiRise for MacBook valued at $69.99.
- Click Here for complete Official Rules.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daylite 5 adds refinements to the business management app
- 1Password 4.5 for iOS gains features, slims down
- IFTTT for iPad brings service/device mashups to your favorite tablet
- Daily App: Rormix brings indie music videos to your iPhone and iPad
- Pebble updates its iOS app with new apps, sharing options and v2.1 fix
- PSA: Pebble for iOS v.2.1 update contains critical flaw that breaks the app - Update