Problems installing Apple TV 5.1.1 update? Here's a fix
If you're encountering problems -- namely an incomplete download or an inability to boot -- when trying to update your Apple TV to version 5.1.1, there's a solution in sight. It turns out that there's a bug with updating the device over Ethernet, so if you've been unable to get 5.1.1 downloaded on a wired connection, disconnect the cable and connect to a WiFi network, then try again. You should be golden.
In the event that an incomplete download of the firmware has left your Apple TV unable to boot, you can connect the device to your computer using a micro-USB cable and do a tethered restore. Just make sure you have iTunes running and you'll see the Apple TV pop up in the devices list. Select it and you'll see the option to restore. Once you've got it back up and running, connect to a WiFi network and perform the system update. You'll be back to streaming in no time.
[Via The Mac Observer]
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync