Waterfield's CitySlicker is a luxurious home for your iPad mini
The iPad mini hit at the perfect time. There are a growing number of cases available for the holiday season, and after an initial dearth of decent iPad mini cases, many are now available.
Waterfield Designs' CitySlicker falls on the high end of the spectrum. It's a luxurious sleeve that can easily be customized into a shoulder bag and look professional and stylish.
The CitySlicker is styled like a small messenger bag, with a butter-soft leather flap that secures to the sleeve with two snaps. The main interior pocket is made of three layers: impact-resistant plastic, high-grade neoprene and a padded liner. There are two mesh pockets in the front of the sleeve and a zipped mesh pocket that shares the liner with the inside of the case.
Additional options from the Waterfield Designs' site allows you to customize the color of the leather flap, add on a carrying handle or strap or just have the D-rings installed so you can use your own strap.
The CitySlicker does one thing really well, and that's hold an iPad mini. Once you start loading items in the pockets, then you start adding issues with bulk. Waterfield's site suggests that you can put pens, your iPad charger and iPhone in the pockets. You can, but the iPad mini's wall charger creates a noticeable bulk when the case is closed. Depending on the case on your iPhone, you might have to remove it before stowing it in the CitySlicker or the bag won't snap shut. Because of the tight sleeve, you can't keep a regular case on your iPad mini in case you fancied a stand for your iPad.
Filling the pockets makes the CitySlicker pretty heavy quite quickly, and you might find you want to add that carrying handle or strap if you're using it on its own. It easily tucks into larger bags, such as my backpack and messenger. Still, you're not going to be able to get a lot into the CitySlicker without creating unsightly bulges or a lot of weight. At the most, I'd suggest adding an iPhone (sans case), the Lightning USB cable without the wall charger and a couple of pens to these pockets to save on weight.
The protection for the iPad mini is fantastic though. This bag can easily survive an accidental fall off the desk -- kids, don't try this at home. The liner is plush and very soft. You won't have to worry about the front or back of the iPad mini getting scratched up in this case.
The CitySlicker is a beautifully built case, and you can't dispute the quality. All of Waterfield's bags are made in San Francisco, so nothing is outsourced. The CitySlicker is the Rolls-Royce of iPad mini sleeves. However, if you plan to pack a lot of accessories, it's not the right sleeve for you. You might want to check out Waterfield's iPad Travel Express, which is more geared toward carrying a lot of accessories with your iPad. Or, if money isn't an issue, check out a Muzetto.
The CitySlicker for the iPad mini is $89. A model for the third- and fourth-generation iPad is available for $99. Given the materials used and the fact that it's produced in the US, I think this is an excellent price for what you're getting.
- Extremely high quality. Built in the USA.
- Looks fantastic.
- The sleeve for the iPad mini is plush and provides a lot of protection. No worries about getting scratches while using this case.
- Easily fits in larger bags.
- Have to carry a separate stand if you need one for your iPad.
- Not a lot of room for accessories. Creates a lot of bulge and weight if you add too much.
Who is it for?
- People who want a stylish iPad mini sleeve with a lot of protection.
And now, you get the chance to win a Waterfield CitySlicker for the iPad mini! Please be sure to read the rules:
- Open to legal US residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are 18 and older.
- To enter, fill out the form below completely and click or tap the Submit button.
- The entry must be made before December 14, 2012, 11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time.
- You may enter only once.
- One winner will be selected and will receive a CitySlicker iPad mini case valued at $89.
- Click Here for complete Official Rules.
Deals of the Daymore deals
Software Updatesmore updates
- Evernote introduces reminders to Mac, iOS apps
- Poser 10 and Poser Pro 2014 available, bringing new characters, physics and more
- Agile Partners releases Lick of the Day 2.0
- Google announces new Hangout app to hit iOS today
- Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 Update 14.3.4
- Pixelmator 2.2 available with over 100 new features and improvements