Review: Cliff Jumper for iOS
Physics-based games have taken the App Store by storm and Cliff Jumper is another such offering. The premise is simple: Launch your skateboarder off the edge of a cliff and perform the required number of flips before hitting the ground. With simple graphics and rather shallow gameplay, it won't win any awards, but as a free time-waster aimed at a younger audience, it fits the bill.
Each level consists of a ramp where you build up speed at a cliff which you (you guessed it) jump from. You are judged on both your ability to nail the correct number of flips and on your landing. Hitting the ground with both sets of wheels is preferred, and if you land with one set of wheels before the other, you'll be downgraded accordingly.
The early levels are extremely simple, some of which don't even require you to perform any trick at all, but later levels introduce environmental hazards like deep pits and bubbling volcanoes. The gameplay is a simple two-button approach requiring very little in the way of dexterity, which makes the game perfect for younger players.
The app itself is free, but you can choose to purchase additional characters via in-app purchase. These bonus skaters have the added ability to flip either way after takeoff, adding a bit of strategy and aiding in performing perfect landings.
If you're looking for a simple distraction for your kids while waiting for the train or on a flight, Cliff Jumper is a fine choice, especially given its lack of a price tag. Just don't expect to be wowed.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync