Apple settles Retina artwork lawsuit with Swiss artist
Apple has settled a lawsuit with Swiss photographer Sabine Liewald over the illegal use of his piece titled "Eye Closeup," according to CNET. The company and Liewald originally had an agreement in place to use the image, but Liewald maintained in a court filing that the only permission she gave Apple regarding the photograph was to use it for "layout purposes only." Liewald said Apple misused the rights to the image when it appeared on stage at the MacBook Pro's unveiling and in marketing material -- both of which fall under commercial use.
The suit was filed in the US District Court for the Southern District of New York in October 2012 and as of last Wednesday was dismissed, according to recently released court documents. The reason for dismissal was because of a settlement between the parties. Terms of the settlement were not released.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)