Apple settles Retina artwork lawsuit with Swiss artist
Apple has settled a lawsuit with Swiss photographer Sabine Liewald over the illegal use of his piece titled "Eye Closeup," according to CNET. The company and Liewald originally had an agreement in place to use the image, but Liewald maintained in a court filing that the only permission she gave Apple regarding the photograph was to use it for "layout purposes only." Liewald said Apple misused the rights to the image when it appeared on stage at the MacBook Pro's unveiling and in marketing material -- both of which fall under commercial use.
The suit was filed in the US District Court for the Southern District of New York in October 2012 and as of last Wednesday was dismissed, according to recently released court documents. The reason for dismissal was because of a settlement between the parties. Terms of the settlement were not released.
Apple has settled a lawsuit with Swiss photographer Sabine Liewald over the illegal use of his piece titled "Eye Closeup," according...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daily App: MyScript Calculator solves your hand-written math equations
- Findery app lets you discover the world around you using annotated notes and maps
- The Learnist app brings its crowd-sourced collection of information to your iPhone
- My cat Cinnamon reviews Friskies Cat Fishing 2
- Photo Grid Collage Maker is capable and free
- iExit gets new features and is now free