Mapicases Orion for iPad: Elegant leather, amazing flexibility
Most of the cases that we receive at TUAW Labs fall into one of two categories: those that use plastic and silicone to create an ultra-protective shell, and those that use more natural materials like cloth or leather to provide style and a modicum of protection. The Mapicases Orion Leather Smart Case (US$160) for iPad 2-4 is one of the latter, turning leather into a good-looking case with a unique twist on flexibility.
At first glance, the Orion looks vaguely similar to Apple's Smart Cover. After all, it does have the telltale lines on the cover where you can fold it origami-like into a stand. But that's where the similarity ends.
The Orion features a stand design that works not only in landscape orientation like the Apple Smart Cover, but also in portrait as well. It does this handy trick by allowing the foldable cover to rotate a full 360 degrees.
The case comes in five different leather finishes: black, brown, tan, red and white. The leather has a nice pebbled finish to it, and the stitching is top-notch. Unlike some less-expensive leather cases that look like they've been cobbled together in a backstreet sweatshop on a broken sewing machine, the Mapicases Orion shows exquisite attention to detail.
The Orion weighs in at 12.4 ounces, and has magnets in the "right places" to turn your device on and off. The inside of the cover is lined with a soft material to avoid screen scratches, and there are cutouts for all the buttons and ports on your iPad. Mapicases also provides a velvet-like bag to enclose the case if you're planning on giving it to someone as a gift. It's a nice touch.
Of course, some cases look good but don't necessarily do the job in terms of protecting your iPad or holding it in a desired position. Fortunately, the Orion does its job well, looking smart while holding your iPad vertically or horizontally.
The fit of this case is like a glove; nice and tight, with no gaps at all. It's probably one of the best leather iPad cases I've reviewed, which is saying a lot.
While it's a bit on the expensive side at $160, the Mapicases Orion for iPad is a classy and well-constructed case that will add style to any full-size iPad.
- Beautifully constructed and brilliantly designed
- Works in both portrait and landscape orientation
- Magnetic iPad switch works perfectly even with cover opening/closing vertically
Who is it for?
- Anyone who likes the look and feel of leather cases; it's perfect for the well-heeled executive
OK, some lucky person out there in TUAW-land is going to get their hands on a brand new tan leather Mapicases Orion iPad case. Here are the rules for the giveaway:
- Open to legal US residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are 18 and older.
- To enter, fill out the form below completely and click or tap the Submit button.
- The entry must be made before January 17. 2013 11:59PM Eastern Standard Time.
- You may enter only once.
- One winner will be selected and will receive a Mapicases Orion iPad case valued at $160
- Click Here for complete Official Rules.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daily App: MyScript Calculator solves your hand-written math equations
- Findery app lets you discover the world around you using annotated notes and maps
- The Learnist app brings its crowd-sourced collection of information to your iPhone
- My cat Cinnamon reviews Friskies Cat Fishing 2
- Photo Grid Collage Maker is capable and free
- iExit gets new features and is now free