Flickr Find: A history of Apple OS installer CDs
Remember when all Mac computers shipped with install CDs? With the debut of the Mac App Store and digital distribution, those days are gone. Like album cover art, the decorative designs of install discs are collectibles that we can admire while we reminisce about the Mac's earlier days.
Nigel Goodman compiled some of his older install CDs that span from OS 7.5.3 to OS X 10.5 and posted the shot to Flickr. It's an older photo and doesn't include Snow Leopard, which was the last OS X version to ship with a physical install disc. Both OS X 10.7 Lion and 10.8 Mountain Lion were distributed as Mac App Store downloads.
We found Nigel's great photo in our Flickr pool. We'd love to see your stuff, too, so share a photo with us.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs