Flickr Find: A history of Apple OS installer CDs
Remember when all Mac computers shipped with install CDs? With the debut of the Mac App Store and digital distribution, those days are gone. Like album cover art, the decorative designs of install discs are collectibles that we can admire while we reminisce about the Mac's earlier days.
Nigel Goodman compiled some of his older install CDs that span from OS 7.5.3 to OS X 10.5 and posted the shot to Flickr. It's an older photo and doesn't include Snow Leopard, which was the last OS X version to ship with a physical install disc. Both OS X 10.7 Lion and 10.8 Mountain Lion were distributed as Mac App Store downloads.
We found Nigel's great photo in our Flickr pool. We'd love to see your stuff, too, so share a photo with us.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature