Skype update adds 'e-gifting' to Mac app
There's a new update for Mac users of Skype today.
The new update brings two key features: eGifting, allowing you to send a gift of Skype credit to any of your Skype or Facebook friends on their birthday, and one-way SMS without the hassle of verifying your mobile number first. The update also resolves some previously known issues.
It's possible to gift someone Skype credit through Skype's website, but the eGifting feature / reminder on birthdays is a nice addition, especially if you've connected Skype to your Facebook account, since Skype credit seems more meaningful than a generic greeting on a friend's timeline. At least with gifting Skype credit, you're likely to have a face-to-face conversation, if they choose to call you with the credit you've sent them!
You can download the latest version of Skype for Mac from here or, with Skype open, click on the Skype menu bar and select Check for updates.
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter