3D printing iPhone dock adapters
A French 3D printing company by the name of Sculpteo has begun offering 3D printed iPhone dock adapters for third-party iPod speakers. The adapters allow users to use Lightning connector iPhones and iPods in older dock connector speaker systems.
The beauty of this system is that it allows Sculpteo to offer these adapters for a wide range of older speaker systems without the upfront costs of hiring a factory to manufacture thousands of units. From a user perspective, it's advantageous because, theoretically, any old iPod speaker system they have could have an adapter made for it quickly so it's compatible with new Lightning connector iOS devices.
Currently the adapter made by Sculpteo will fit over 15 iPod speaker systems. Users will still have to buy the Lightning to dock connector separately from Apple, but when used with Sculpteo's adapters new devices will fit snugly in the old speaker systems. Sculpteo's adapters currently cost US$17.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature