X-Doria Dash Icon for 13" MacBook Air: Review and giveaway
X-Doria is well known as a manufacturer of iPhone and iPad cases, and now the company has announced the Dash Icon case for another Apple product -- the 13" MacBook Air. The Dash Icon for MacBook Air retails for US$59.99 and appears to be a perfect companion for the Apple's thin 13" notebook. Read along as I outline the features of the case, then join in for a chance to win one courtesy of TUAW and X-Doria.
Rather than a traditional notebook computer case or sleeve, the X-Doria Dash Icon is a tight-fitting two-part shell that covers all of the exterior of the 13" MacBook Air. The entire shell is made of polycarbonate, with the top surface covered with a textured fabric that adds both style and grip to the case.
The Dash Icon comes in two styles; Blue Waves and Color Burst. Blue Waves uses a repeating blue pattern on a dark blue background, while Color Burst (below) dazzles the eyes with shades of red interspersed with light blue accent lines.
The protection doesn't add a lot of weight; the Dash Icon adds only 12.7 ounces to the nearly 3 lb. 13" MacBook Air. This is a wonderful idea for protecting a MacBook Air that is getting tossed into a backpack or messenger bag, keeping it from getting scratched by other items in the bag.
Installing the Dash Icon is a snap, literally. The top fabric-covered piece snaps onto the back of the display, while the bottom piece snaps onto the keyboard/CPU portion of the MacBook Air. Should you need to remove the case, it's possible to just pull away one of the connecting "hooks" in one corner and then move to the other connectors to easily pop the covers off.
I found the texture on the Dash Icon to be a great idea. I currently own an 11" MacBook Air that doesn't have a cover like this and I find that it's somewhat slippery in my hands. I'm hoping that X-Doria decides to expand the Dash Icon line to the 11" MacBook Air as well.
While the Dash Icon isn't going to protect your MacBook Air from a drop off of a third-story balcony, it will help keep your investment fairly well protected from everyday bumps, splatters, and scratches. It's a bit pricey for two pieces of polycarbonate, however, with Speck's similar SmartShell and SeeThru shells running $10 less.
- Attractive fabric design on top with texture for extra grip
- Very lightweight and form-fitting to the MacBook Air
- Easy to install and remove
- More expensive than similar competing products
Who is it for?
- Owners of Apple's 13" MacBook Air who want lightweight protection for their skinny friend
We have one of these gorgeous "Blue Waves" Dash Icons that we're giving away to a lucky TUAW reader with a 13" MacBook Air. Here are the rules for the giveaway:
- Open to legal US residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are 18 and older.
- To enter, fill out the form below completely and click or tap the Submit button.
- The entry must be made before April 4, 2013 11:59PM Eastern Daylight Time.
- You may enter only once.
- One winner will be selected and will receive an X-Doria Dash Icon for 13" MacBook Air valued at $59.99.
- Click Here for complete Official Rules.
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter