RokForm RokShield v3 for iPad mini: Protection with mounting flexibility
RokForm makes some incredibly useful protective iPad and iPhone cases, and now the company has applied its genius to the iPad mini. The new RokForm RokShield v3 for iPad mini (US$59) is a good solution for anyone who wants protection for their mini as well as options for mounting the device. Here's a quick review of the case and mounting system, and readers have a chance to win a RokShield for their iPad mini.
Unsurprisingly, the design of the iPad mini RokShield is similar to that of the RokLock case reviewed earlier this year. That means that the polycarbonate shell holding the iPad mini is divided into two pieces for easy installation. Those pieces are held together by a elastomer "bumper" that protects the iPad mini from drops and bumps.
On the back of the case are four small hexagonal "bumps" that serve to protect the back of the iPad as well as keep the case from sliding when placed on a hard surface. Dominating the back of the case is the port for the mounting system. The RokShield is shipped with two mounts; one that serves as a rotatable kickstand and another that sticks to any surface (like a wall) for hands-off use of the iPad mini.
Owners can purchase extra surface mounts for $12 each, a car suction mount for $49, a tripod adapter for $39, or a replacement kickstand for $19. The RokShield comes in a choice of seven color combinationsL black, black and gun metal (gray), black and blue, black and red, aqua and white, white, or white and pink.
RokForm also includes a full screen protector for your mini, along with a cleaning kit to get rid of those fingerprints before you install the screen protector.
RokForm seems to design its products to a very fine tolerance, and the RokShield fits the iPad mini like a glove. Installing the two-part case is a cinch, and installing or removing the elastomer bumper -- although it's quite tight -- is pretty easy as well.
Once the iPad mini is in the case, it can either be locked onto the surface mount or have the kickstand attached to the back of it. The kickstand works in either portrait or landscape orientation, and is easily removed with just a twist.
Whether you want to prop up your iPad mini on a desktop, mount it on a wall, or use it for big-screen navigation in your car, the RokShield and the mounting systems will do the job. It may not be the most stylish case for your device, but the RokShield is certainly one of the more functional mini cases we've reviewed here at TUAW.
The iPad mini is proving to be a hit for Apple, and the RokForm RokShield case and mounting system is a unique and versatile way to protect your mini while keeping it close at hand.
- Two-part polycarbonate shell is easy to install and remove, while the elastomer bumper provides a good grip while protecting the iPad mini
- Includes screen protector and two mounts, with more accessories available from the manufacturer
- Very reasonably priced for a protective case and mounting system
- None to speak of
Who is it for?
- The iPad mini owner who wants the ability to mount the device on a variety of surfaces
There's only one thing better than reading about the RokShield for iPad mini -- winning one! Here are the rules for the giveaway:
- Open to legal US residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are 18 and older.
- To enter, fill out the form below completely and click or tap the Submit button.
- The entry must be made before April 5, 2013 11:59PM Eastern Daylight Time.
- You may enter only once.
- One winner will be selected and will receive a RokForm RokShield v3 for iPad mini valued at $59.
- Click Here for complete Official Rules.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)