TripWhat is a free travel companion for iOS
There is a seemingly endless supply of apps that use Google Local Search and other services to get you information about where you are or where you are going. TripWhat is a free iPhone app that uses data from Google, Urbanspoon, Yelp, Seatgeek, Last.fm, WikiVoyage and others to offer data on area restaurants, points of interest, even local events happening that day.
You can create an itinerary and get directions to selected activities via Apple's Map app. When you find a place you like, you can get website links and reviews, along with one-tap phone numbers.
What differentiates TripWhat is its focus on current, local events like street fairs and nightlife, complete with details and links to ticket purchasing. It worked smoothly where I live, and will be helpful to those traveling in unfamiliar territory. The app claims more than 600,000 attractions and over 100,000 events in 250 cities in the US and Canada. This is not an app to use to plan an overseas trip.
TripWhat runs on iOS 5.1 or later. It's a worthwhile download to add to your travel apps folder.
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter