Musubo's Diamond, Chamfer iPhone 5 cases: review and giveaway
Musubo is a Hong Kong-based manufacturer of smartphone accessories, and the company recently released a flurry of iPhone 5 cases to meet the demand for protection of Apple's flagship phone. Today I'll take a look at the Musubo Diamond (US$32.99) and Chamfer (US$24.99) cases, and then TUAW readers have a chance to win one of three Musubo iPhone 5 cases we're giving away.
I'll start off with the least exciting of the Musubo cases, the Chamfer. The name describes the design perfectly -- it features a wide chamfered edge around the back side of the case. Made out of tough polycarbonate material with a soft-touch feel, the Chamfer comes in red, blue, green, pink ,purple, silver and black colors.
The company includes some goodies with every case, so the Chamfer has not only a screen protector in the box, but a small foldable video stand and a screen cleaning microfiber cloth as well. Not bad for a $25 iPhone 5 case!
Moving on to the flashier Diamond case seen at the top of this post, we find a design that is sure to attract the fashionista in your family. A soft thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) shell gently cradles the sides of the iPhone 5, while a hard and glossy diamond-patterned back protects the back of your phone.
That transparent diamond design really stands out as different, and has a very three-dimensional look to it that transforms this relatively inexpensive iPhone 5 case into something special. The Diamond is available in black, purple, red and blue.
Both Musubo cases do a fine job of protecting the iPhone 5 sides and back, and the included screen protector helps to keep your screen scratch-free. I found the little foldable video stand to be quite useful and a welcome addition to the Musubo cases.
The TPU shell on the Diamond case makes installation a snap, as the material flexes enough to facilitate squeezing the iPhone 5 into place. However, I found the polycarbonate construction of the Chamfer a little stiff, really requiring a good push to put the iPhone 5 into the case.
Musubo has proven to "think outside the box" when it comes to case designs, as you can see from this 2012 TUAW review of the totally unique MatchBook Pro and several other iPhone 4/4S cases. With the Diamond and Chamfer, the company continues its mission of supplying stylish and inexpensive protective cases for Apple's latest smartphones.
- Relatively inexpensive for "style" cases
- Diamond's design is quite novel and fun
- Cases ship with free foldable video stand, cleaning cloth, and screen protector
- Chamfer case was a little difficult to install and remove due to the stiffness of the material it is made from
Who are they for?
- Anyone who wants an fashionable iPhone 5 case without spending a lot of money
We have three Musubo cases to give away -- two of the Diamond cases (black or purple) and one of the silver Chamfer cases. Here are the rules for the giveaway:
- Open to legal US residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are 18 and older.
- To enter, fill out the form below completely and click or tap the Submit button.
- The entry must be made before April 14, 2013 11:59PM Eastern Daylight Time.
- You may enter only once.
- Three winners will be selected. One will receive a Chamfer case valued at $24.99 while two will receive a Diamond case valued at $32.99.
- Click Here for complete Official Rules.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- IFTTT adds a location channel to its iOS App
- Plants vs. Zombies 2 gets upgraded map, more 'cool' stuff
- Remote Desktop update brings OS X Mavericks support and improved multi-display support
- Valve revamps Steam Mobile for iOS
- Google Drive iOS app finally lets you sort items and find and replace in documents
- Viber announces Viber Out calls for iOS, goes head to head with Skype